Walking Towards The Sunset In The West Algarve - Self Guided Walking Tour Based In Lagos
Walking in the West Algarve is a Self-Guided walking tour designed to offer a good mix of coastal and inland nature walks so that you can discover the less known wonders of this part of the Algarve. Our base is in Lagos, a cosmopolitan city within a short distance of all these different walking experiences.
- Individual arrival to Faro Airport / Faro Train station / Faro Bus station.
- The highlights of the area are the spectacular rocks, coves, and caves that
have been relentlessly carved and shaped by the pounding waves. You can look
down on the famous grottos. Looking inland you can see the remnants of old
farmhouses and land divisions that marked the territory here when it was once
the only source of income.
- These charming villages nestled in rural and peaceful countryside with a mix
of fields and forests giving nature lovers a real treat.
Inserted in the Natural Heritage of Lagos, the National Forest of Barão de S.
João is located in the heart of the Western Algarve, a transition of the
agricultural world, still alive with small farms and shepherds, to the forest.
- This is an ideal opportunity to relax and enjoy the attractions of the
Algarve. You can walk/tour independently, or visit local places of interest.
- Leaving Lagos, we walk east along the coast, past old saltpans, taking us
towards the estuary of Alvor before quiet inland paths and lanes bring us back
- The scenery is gentle, serene and cozy in the Alvor estuary. This protected
natural haven contains a wide array of habitats. The walk uses quiet paths and
lanes to take us through a variety of landscapes from salt marshes, farmland,
pastures and orchards to Mediterranean type forests. It’s great for birdlife
observation, particularly. To the north you’ll clearly discern the lush green Monchique mountains
silhouetted in the horizon; a bit to the south, hidden by the large unspoilt
dunes, there’s Lagos Bay; meanwhile, contemplate the ever-changing shades of
blue and green along the secluded inner lagoons, as well as the beautiful
Rocha Delicada (‘Delicate’ or ‘Elegant Rock’), an ochre promontory formed
during the Miocene period. Embedded in its calcareous rock face, it is
possible to detect some marine fossils from this remote period, mainly
composed of oyster, scallop and clam specimens.
- This is a magnificent walk through hills with fabulous views, peaceful
farmland, green forests & pretty watercourses.
- At convenient time departure to Faro Airport / Faro Train station / Faro Bus
- 7 nights accommodation in a twin room (4 stars hotel)
- 7 buffet breakfasts at the Hotel.
- Transfers from Faro airport / Faro train station / Faro bus station to the Hotel on the first day
- Transfers from the Hotel to Faro airport / Faro train station / Faro bus station on last day
What's not included?
- Any services not listed as included
- Flights to and from Portugal
- Meals, tips/gratuities, baggage or personal insurance (except as outlined)
- Admission fees to castles & attractions or events (except as outlined)
- Personal expenses
- Great for novice and well-seasoned walkers alike
- General day bag
- Comfortable hiking shoes and cotton socks
- Sun protection
- Water and snacks
- Voucher: You will receive a secure voucher to either print out or present on your mobile phone.
- Cancellation Policy: For a full refund, please cancel at least 1 week in advance of the start of the experience.
- Quality Assurance: Travelade only works with selected local partners we trust to provide high-quality service.