The West Algarve Guided Tour
The Western Algarve has varied geology that helps produce a rich diversity of scenery, from granitic mountains to dramatic limestone escarpments and sea cliffs. This diversity is complemented by the local flora and fauna that flourish in the equable climate of mild, sunny winters and long, hot summers. All this, combined, makes touring these areas a singular experience.
- We’ll meet you at the Faro airport and bring you to the hotel.
- Today we will be walking in the area north of Silves. This wonderful walk gives a relaxing introduction to the region as it meanders through gently rolling hills. Spectacular views, sheltered valleys, and lunch at an old windmill with Silves and its castle laid out below us make this a day to remember.
- Today we head into the hills of the Serra de Monchique. Our walk offers panoramic views of some of the most beautiful parts of the Algarve. The day includes time to visit the town of Monchique. Here you will discover traditional skills and handicrafts still being practiced. The famous Medronho, distilled from the Strawberry tree, distinctive hand-knitted sweaters and the unusual wooden chairs all suggest the character of this area.
- Today we have a full program with a fantastic coastal walk taking in the superb sandy beaches and dramatic headlands between Alvor and Portimão, including the much-photographed beach at Praia da Rocha, one of the best in the Algarve. The rock strata are particularly varied and very colorful, from white limestone to red sandstone.
- We continue our coastal theme with a spectacular walk starting from the small village and resort of Luz. On this walk we follow a coastal path to Lagos, visiting on the way Ponta da Piedade where the famous sea caves are to be found and visited by many small boats carrying visitors from nearby Lagos. The walk finishes in Lagos and we will have time to sightsee in this attractive town that was an important Roman settlement called 'Lacobriga'. A variety of ancient Roman & medieval ruins remain, including the old slave market.
- We head back inland for a walk that takes in the villages of Barão de São João and Barão de São Miguel. These charming, rural and peaceful villages are characterized by the typical white houses with a colored border around the windows and doors.
- Our final day on the western Algarve fittingly culminates in Sagres, the most westerly town in the Algarve. We will also visit today the nearby Cabo de S. Vincente whose spectacular cliffs were once believed to be the end of the world.
- Free time until transfer from Portimão to Faro airport.
- 7 nights in a 3-star hotel
- English-speaking guide
- 7 dinners taken in local restaurants with drinks included.
- 7 buffet breakfasts at the hotel
- Transfers from Faro airport at 12 a.m on the first day
- Transfers from the hotel to Faro airport at 12 a.m. on last day
- All land travel (as outlined)
- Dedicated English-speaking driver
- We are always able to cater for vegetarian or other special diets
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Minimum age is 18 years
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 22 travelers
- Comfortable shoes
- Spending money
- Layered clothing
- Outerwear, such as gloves & a coat (dependant on weather)
- Overnight items
- Swimsuit & towel
- Voucher: You will receive a secure voucher to either print out or present on your mobile phone.
- Cancellation Policy: For a full refund, please cancel at least 1 week in advance of the start of the experience.
- Quality Assurance: Travelade only works with selected local partners we trust to provide high-quality service.
- Note: The land only option allows you to book your own transport to and from the holiday. You will normally meet the group at the arrival airport at 12 a.m as long as you arrive there no later than the group.