Explore the Canterbury Plains and Southern Alps on this Arthur’s Pass. Hop aboard your TranzAlpine train and journey through the Waimakariri Gorge. Explore the alpine village of Arthur’s Pass in the Otira Gorge and enjoy lunch in a local restaurant. Visit a sheep farm, and admire native birdlife in the foothills of the Southern Alps. Upgrade to include a hair-raising jet-boat ride on the mighty Waimakariri River!
A day tour from Christchurch travelling on the world famous TranzAlpine Train through the Southern Alps to Arthurs Pass. The tour then travels by road to the Otira Gorge and returns to Christchurch through the Southern Alps taking a different route than your train journey. The tour stops at a high country sheep station for a sheep dog and sheep shearing demonstration with afternoon tea. There is the option to have lunch and jet boating included in your day. The tour maybe operated in reverse with the train in the afternoon.
• Travel by road through the rural pastoral scenes of the Canterbury Plains
• At Springfield, board the TranzAlpine train to travel through the Southern Alps to Arthurs Pass
• At Arthurs Pass continue your tour firstly the breathtaking beauty of the Otira Gorge and the magnificent scenery the viaduct lookout
• Lunch in Arthurs Pass (optional extra)
• Following lunch there time to explore the picturesque village of Arthurs Pass
• The return journey to Christchurch is by road through Arthurs Pass National Park and the high alpine passes
• Enjoy an exhilarating jet boat ride through the spectacular gorges of the Waimakariri River (optional extra)
• Sheep farm visit with afternoon tea, sheep shearing and sheep mustering demonstration
• Collected 7.30 am Return 5.30 pm
Please bring warm clothing as you will be visiting mountain areas with changeable weather.