Guided Visit: Life and Death at the Capuchos Convent in Sintra Mountains
Marvel at the beautiful Capuchos Convent in the Sintra mountains and travel with historian Miguel Boim in the middle centuries. Visit the mystical monument in the mountains and get to know more about its Portuguese origins. Listen about friars who lived in the grottos and suffered upon visitations.
- Experience the mysterious caves and cells in the rocks
- Learn about the strange habits that the friars had in this rocky convent
- Hear the tales of Devil visitations to some of the friars in the 17th century
- Know how they processed the Sintra Mountains plants for their medicine
- Be accompanied by a historian who will tell you all about the Convent
- Early in the afternoon, you'll be picked up at Sintra's train station and you'll be taken by car to the Capuchos Convent, in the Sintra Mountains.
- In this guided visit you'll be removed from the modern-day bustling and transported - through the words of the Historian Miguel Boim - across centuries of history filled with habits, memories, and accounts, all related to the most single, rustic and mystical monument Sintra Mountains has.
- The habits, the mystical experiences lived in day or night, the visits and visitations, as well as the fears that grew in every shadow in the crepuscular wilderness around the Convent will touch your heart.
- It will be an afternoon full of memories from distant centuries; they will be engraved in you like an old book, such as the ones in which all these details were picked by your accompanying Historian Miguel Boim.
- The visit will have the duration of around 3h30 and will include the interior of the Convent, as well its property, where you'll see quite a few unusual points of interest.
- The memories and habits you're going to hear about were extracted from the historian Miguel Boim, whose work as an independent researcher on religious chronicles are dated from several centuries back. Therefore you are going to listen about the strangest habits - besides the strange way of living in these grottos - and the eeriest accounts of what some friars have suffered upon certain visitations.
- At the end of the visit, you'll be taken back to Sintra's train station, where you were picked up before the visit.
- Historian guide
- Access to the Capuchos Convent
- Pick up at Sintra Train Station to take you to the starting point in the mountains
- Good for a small group experience
- Good for corporate vacation
- Comfortable shoes
- Spending money
- Layered clothing
- Outerwear, such as gloves and a coat (dependent on season)
- Voucher: You will receive a secure voucher to either print out or present on your mobile phone.
- Cancellation Policy: For a full refund, please cancel at least 24 hours prior to the start date of the experience.
- Quality Assurance: Travelade only works with selected local partners we trust to provide high-quality service.