The ultimate glacier experience! Glacier hiking on Vatnajokull, Europe's largest glacier, and a Zodiac boat ride on Fjallsárlón glacier lagoon. This trip will provide you with plenty of photo opportunities and the chance to gain a thorough understanding of these powerful glaciers.
Sign up and see why the Glacier Grand Slam is our most popular glacier trip! You will get the opportunity to visit the most breathtaking and inspiring nature that Vatnajökull National Park has to offer.
You will meet us at the secluded (and locals favorite) Fjallsárlón glacier lagoon, 30 min before the tour starts. This tour is meet on location only.
In the beginning of the tour, you will take an amazing 45 minute Zodiac boat ride, gliding among numerous large icebergs with Europe’s largest glacial mass. The Fjallsárlón guide will take you back in time to the historical side of things. Come and learn about the history and formation of the lagoon and all who inhabited this beautiful landmark.
After our lagoon excursion, you must travel on your own to Skaftafell. Here you will get an introduction to the unique, fascinating world of ice, traversing the spectacular but easy tracks of the Falljökull glacier. We start with a short walk along the glacier valley where your guide will explain the unique features of the retreating paths of Falljökull glacier and its surroundings.
As we arrive at the edge of the Falljökull glacier we will strap on crampons and make our way up the icy but easily accessible slopes. On the way, we will witness incredible ice formations and crevasses, learning about how they are formed and how the glacier continuously reshapes itself. We will approach the awe-inspiring ice fall, seeing up close how the ancient ice stoically falls hundreds of meters off the mountain top below as it flows in slow motion towards the ocean, a journey it will never complete as global warming continues to fuel its melting and slow retreat.
What if I don’t have the necessary items?
You can rent hiking boots, waterproof jacket and pants from us when you book your tour.
All gear is also available for rent at the booking house in Skaftafell.
- Glacier hike
- All necessary glacier equipment
- A Zodiac boat tour on Fjallsárlón lagoon
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1000 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)(Climbing boots are included on the ice climbing tour)
- Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quick and dry slow)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)