Hiking day after day through flower-strewn alpine meadows, over alpine passes,
with one of the highest mountains in Caucasus – Shkhara (5152 m), Janga (5059,
Tetnuldi (4858m), Ushba (4710), you will enjoy some of the most picteruesque
scenery in Caucasus. This 6-days trekking trail is also exceptional, it offers
overnights at local guesthouses in remote villages of Svaneti. The villages in
this region have unique architectural style and are included in the UNESCO
world heritage sites. With soaring mountains, gorgeous trails, the most
autectonic and most preserved centuries old towers and houses, trekking from
Mestia to Ushguli is an exhilarating trek that lives up to the highest-class
Day 1: Tbilisi- Enguri Dam -Mestia
- Tbilisi-Enguri Dam: We will meet at your hotel and drive to Svaneti. After 4 hours driving, we stop at Enguri dam which is one of the highest arch dams in the world(a height of 271.5 meters). Then we drive to the region of Upper Svaneti which is an outstanding example of an exceptional mountain landscape composed of highly preserved villages with unique defensive tower houses, examples of ecclesiastical architecture and arts of medieval origin. Visit the Museum of History and ethnography and Svanetian Architectural Museum in Mestia and explore the small town by walking into the narrow streets, visiting small cafes and local souvenirs shops. Overnight in Mestia
Day 2: Mestia – Zhabeshi (Moderate, Walking distance 14 km, 6 hours)
- In the morning, we will start actual trekking. We will hike to the Mulakhi community of Zhabeshi village. The route is easy, follows an off-road car and well-marked trail. Overnight at a guesthouse in Zhabeshi with shared facilities.
Day 3: Zhbeshi – Adishi (Moderate, Walking distance 15 km, 8 Hours)
- After breakfast, we start our journey into the wilderness. We hike up to the slopes of Tetnuldi mountain, pass ski resort and descend into the forests of birch trees and rhododendron bushes. After passing a mountainous small river, the alpine meadows will be in front of us. Here is located Adishi village which consists of stone towers and houses built several centuries ago. Its beautiful location, just below Tetnuldi mountain, on the right bank of the roaring mountainous river and between the high mountains with local architecture makes this village so special and picturesque. Overnight at a local guesthouse with shared facilities.
Day 4 – Adishi – Iprali (Hard, Walking Distance 16-17km, 9 Hours)
- In the early morning, we will start our Svaneti Adventure. Here we follow upstream to the river. After one hour pleasant walking across the river, we need to cross the roaring Adishi river. For our safety, we will get on a horseback and cross the river. Afterward, we will climb up to the Chkhunderi pass (2655m). From here you can enjoy majestic panoramic views of the picturesque Adishi Glacier. After having a lunch on the top of the ridge and enjoying with views, we will descend into the valley of Khaldechala river. After two hours easy walk, we reach Khalde village which was destroyed in the 19th century by the Russian soldiers. From here our pass will follow an off-road to Iprali village. Overnight at a local guesthouse with shared facilities in Iprali.
Day 5–Iprali-Ushguli-Mestia (Moderate, Walking
Distance 10 km, 5 Hours)
- In the morning, we trek through traditional Svani villages. After passing by Kala and Davberi villages, we are trekking through forest and reach Ushguli from above. Ushguli is located at the foot of mount Shkara and at the confluence of the rivers Enguri and Kvishiri. The highest permanent settlement in Europe (2200 m) with the outstanding mixture of mountainous landscape and the medieval-type towers and churches will astonish visitors. Here you will visit the Ushguli Ethnographic museum located in the 12th-century old Svanetian tower-house. We also visit a medieval Lamaria church ( of the assumption of the Mother of God). Overnight in Mestia.
Day 6 – Mestia-Tbilisi (Easy, Walking Distance 5 km, 3 Hours)
- After breakfast, we will depart to Tbilisi. On our way, we will visit Chalaadi glacier. We will follow upstream of Mestiachala river and after 1,5 km, we reach our finish, a place where the river is born. Afterward, we travel to Tbilisi.